192.168.1.1 wireless router setup and configuration wizard
192.168.1.1 is a common IP address that many routers use it as their default gateway, some hardware manufacturers also use this address to manage their wireless network setup or build a network. You can easily change this address through management console at http://192.168.1.1, but it’s better not to change it in order to make the whole network work smoothly. Some other routers might use 192.168.0.1 as their default IP address, it’s all depending on your own favorite settings.
Why can’t I access 192.168.1.1?
If you need to connect to your router to manage the wireless settings, just type http://192.168.1.1 in your browser’s address bar and hit enter. Sometimes we may encounter a failure problem: the browser can’t get access to the router successfully. Why and how to solve this problem? Let me show you the steps.
First step is to ping 192.168.1.1. To do this, we need to hit ‘START’ menu(if your computer system is Windows), then hit ‘Run’ menu, type ‘CMD’, this will popup a command window, then type ‘ping 192.168.1.1’ in the window, watch the result. If it shows ‘Reply from 192.168.1.1’, it means your network is OK, if it shows ‘request time out’, it means you can’t connect to your wireless router.
Here might be the reasons:
- Your computer’s TCP/IP property is not configured correctly.
- Your computers TCP/IP settings are correct, and your router is also connected to a Modem, but your Modem’s setting conflicts with your router’s default setting, this stops you from getting access to the router.
- There is a proxy setup in your browser.
- There are multiple network cards in your computer, and their TCP/IP settings conflict.
- Your router’s gateway is not 192.168.1.1, or you’ve mistaken it with 192.168.l.l.If you have solved the above problem, we are going to share with you steps of how to setup a wireless router, you will find them work with many routers like Linksys, TP-link, D-link, Netgear, etc.
Step one: Connect the lines/cables
Before routers were invented and became popular in the market, we always connect our computers directly to broadband internet. Now most families have more than one computer, so we need to use a router to share broadband Internet access. If you are using router without wireless function, the first step is to connect the cable to WAN port of the router, and please make sure your computer is also connected to the router (LAN port).
After cables are plugged, the router will work properly with system indicator light(SYS light or a small gear icon) blinking. If the corresponding indicator does not light or computer port card icon displays a red cross, then it means there is a line connection problem. Try checking cable connections or change another cable to use.
Step two: 192.168.1.1 Wireless Router settings
- Open a web browser, enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar to open the router management interface, in the pop-up login box, enter the router’s administrative account (username and password are usually ‘admin’). Then select ‘Setup Wizard’, and select the correct access mode (common access methods are PPPOE, static IP address).
- PPPOE: This is the most common means of internet access, it usually use dial-up method with username and password you get from your ISP to get access to internet. ADSL lines belong to this means.
- Static IP Address: ISP carrier provides you a fixed IP address, gateway, DNS, etc. Some fiber optic lines use static IP addresses.
- Next, we will setup a name of your router and a password for wireless signal.
- Click ‘Setup Wizard – Wireless Settings’, we can see channel, mode, security options, SSID and other settings. SSID is the router name displayed while people are searching wireless signals, you can easily enter whatever you like or just leave it by default. At the wireless security section, we need to choose wpa-psk or wpa2-psk to set our router’s password, it’s the password for your laptop or cell phone to get connected to the wireless router, normally wpa2-psk is better. If you don’t want others to rub your network, you should choose a complex password.
After you’ve completed the above steps, restart your router, then get access to the management interface(http://192.168.1.1), you will see your IP address is 0.0.0.0, wait 1-2 minutes, it will soon obtain a IP which is your external IP, now you are connected to Internet.
Some other wireless routers might be different since they have DHCP service integrated, the router will automatically assign an IP for your computer after it’s connected correctly, this should work both for cable router and wireless router.
Step three: How do I connect other devices to my router 192.168.1.1?
Through above steps, the computer that you are working on will be able to get online, but if there is another computer, how can it get access to the Internet? It’s pretty simple, just do the same steps that your first computer get connected to the wireless router. It also works for your cell phones and others, like android cell phones, Iphones, they have wireless modules integrated, find the function, search wireless signals, find your router, click to connect, enter your password, it will soon show you a successful status.
What can I do if I don’t know or don’t remember 192.168.1.1 password?
It’s really simple, you need to reset your router. Find the reset button on your router, push and stick to it for several seconds, then unplug it and power it on again. Then use ‘admin’ for the username and password at the management interface or login page, it will get access to 192.168.1.1 and work smoothly. You can also check username and password of some popular routers here.